Proverbs 29:2 “When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.”
There are several other aspects of this verse and my experience at Capitol Connection 2015 (http://awakeamericaonline.org/main.html) that continue to resonate with me.
First, it is a reminder that our righteous leaders need our encouragement. As a leader in the Republican Party said during the conference: we can only be as strong on moral issues as Pastors will be from the pulpits on Sunday mornings. Based on his intent, this can be more broadly interpreted to mean the following:
- We need the support of Christians who will stand strong alongside of us
- We cannot make change alone without the righteous standing with us
- We cannot be the only ones who are bucking the trend of secularism
We must vote for them, pray for them, and speak out with them.
Second, it is a reminder that the political and legislative processes matter – they matter a lot:
- Elections matter – we rejoice or mourn based on the character of the ones who are in office.
- Candidates matter – we must foster an environment for the right candidates to emerge so that we have a righteous option come election time.
- Legislative sessions matter – democracy is far more than simply voting once every two years. It demands that we are involved and engaged throughout the year, encouraging those who stand for right and checking those who stand for wrong.
- Prayer matters – every part of the political process must be bathed in prayer, from the cultivation of candidates through the consideration of legislation.
PLEASE PRAY THAT AMERICAN CHRISTIANS WOULD BE FULLY INVOLVED IN THE POLITICAL AND LEGISLATIVE PROCESSES. If we are not, then we shouldn’t be surprised when what matters in this nation is controlled by those who would oppose us and the cause of Christ.
See this prior post for other thoughts on Proverbs 29:2: http://prayatlunch.us/an-election-mandate/